More favourites- Tara Donovan


Untitled, 2003
Styrofoam Cups, Hot Glue
visit the American artist Tara Donovan's work at Ace Gallery, NYC

Tara Donovan, creates natural forms, clouds, topography, hills, mountains, stalagmites (or stalactites- I confuse which is top and which is bottom)and more made using pattern and accumulation.

Her work is arresting. I can remember first seeing 'Haze', (her wall of straws) in 2003 and being impressed. But I was utterly entranced by 'Untitled' (pictured). Made of paper cups, hot glue and time she creates amazing undulating forms from simple everyday items. Breath taking! One of those brilliant and lovely things I wish I'd thought of myself.

I love the idea of these as small scale installations in the corner of a white room with very high ceilings. Perhaps growing up and around the wall.


Transplanted, 2003
Ripped & Stacked Tarpaper
2 1/2"(H) x 10'6"(W) x 26'(D)
IBM Exhibition Space 57th St. & Madison Ave. New York City, Flall 2003

Comments

Popular Posts