Yarnbombed bus, tree and street signs


I was immediately wowed when I saw the photo of this knitted bus by Magda Sayeg (Photo: BNPS). I quite love the mix of granny squares, classic patterns and 3-d knitted elements shaped to fit the bus.

In the UK's Telegraph Magda Sayeg said, 'Luckily I had a small team to help me with the bus but it took a week to do'. Magda is credited as starting the idea of yarnbombing but you can see photos from all over the world on her website Knitta Please.


I appreciate the friendliness of yarn based 'graffiti'. Rather then use toxic chemicals to permanently alter a building, bench, etc it's a bit of fluffy, soft unexpected colour.

Also mentioned were a of couple local Vancouverites; knitting aficionados Mandy Moore and Leanne Prain are about to publish a book called 'Yarnbombing: The Art of Knit Graffiti'.

Perusing their site I came across some great examples of yarnbombing, including Lauren Marsden's series of 'Territorial knittings' wherein she knits signs for each of the six streets that she's lived on in Victoria, British Columbia.


I was also quite taken with this amazing red tree Diane Yee and Aaron Robertson found on a trip to Beijing, China. This yarn-wrapped tree was in Factory 798 which Yee describes as ‘a very large and thriving art district.’ Photos by Aaron Robertson

Comments

Popular Posts